Three months

by Ashley on October 17, 2011

For some reason, for the past couple of weeks, when folks on the street ask how old Hudson is, I’ve been answering three months. So this time our little photo session has actually felt a long time coming! Perhaps it is because he seems to change so much with every week?

Something that hasn’t changed: I still can’t seem to choose just one photo. I have so many favorites! I held myself back to five this time.

Hudson continues to love standing, and is quite adept at lifting his head and standing from a recline–with a little hand-holding, of course. Toys are starting to become more interesting, especially now that he occasionally opens his hands to pinch at or reach for his favorites (which we tend to describe as Mr. this or that: Mr. Elephant, Mr. Birdie, and Mr. Scrapuloctopus). Mornings are the most fun as he smiles and shrieks and shares about a hundred different expressions (all while drooling profusely). One of the most notable new ones, however, is less happy: he now sticks out his lower lip when he starts to cry (it’s at once both incredibly sad and sort of funny). He loves to look around and prefers facing outward in a carrier when awake, and will often happily watch me do things around him from the vantage of a bouncy chair during the day. He watches everything with great intensity; he especially watches our mouths, often trying to mimic movements and then making little soft sounds. There were a few days where he seemed obsessed with sticking out his tongue and would sort of “lap” over and over! Lately he prefers to have his hands in his mouth–sometimes both, but usually just one, as much in as possible.

We just returned from our first road trip and he did such a good job in the car–even if the car seat is probably still not his favorite spot. We timed drives to naptimes and either gave him expressed milk from a bottle or a pacifier to help him drift off to sleep. He slept so well with all the jiggling. In fact, he slept so well on that trip! Every night was better than the last… six hours turned to nine hours by the end. But we haven’t been as lucky since returningΒ  (in fact the first night back was reminiscent of week six) and so we are working hard to simulate vacation at home (as contradictory as that sounds). It was disheartening, and Friday–our first day back–felt really overwhelming. We had been especially excited because just before the trip we were looking into solutions for colic–cutting dairy from my diet, keeping him upright as much as possible… and were so relieved by the change that seemed to come simply with time. Now we are working on establishing our nighttime routine.

Finally, while we were taking his monthly photo, Hudson seemed to notice his toes for the first time! It was so funny; it was as if they suddenly appeared out of nowhere with a little sound effect–something like “boing!” from an episode of Bewitched. He was puzzled. Then transfixed. And then he kept pushing out his feet along the couch and feeling it before kicking about. It really is so incredible to watch his eyes widen as he discovers something new. We can actually see him learning.

Ashley October 17, 2011 at 8:46 am

Update: He slept from 8pm to 5am last night!!

erin October 17, 2011 at 9:05 am

that last shot is amazing. so glad the little guy enjoyed your trip–and very happy to hear that last night’s slumber was a long one!

Teryn October 17, 2011 at 11:09 am

8pm to 5am? You guys are definitely turning the corner. You may have a few nights where things regress a bit, but you are on your way! Congratulations!!
p.s. the trip sounds wonderful πŸ™‚

Alli October 17, 2011 at 11:13 am

I just can’t stand that 2nd picture of Hudson with his huge grin! It is make-you-melt cute. Can’t wait to hear more about your trip and about your progress with the sleeping!

Erin October 17, 2011 at 1:51 pm

What a cutie!! Sounds like a successful car trip, that’s great! Our little one is only a few days older than Hudson and we’ve been working with some similar backsliding on the sleep front… it’s encouraging to hear that Hudson went back to a good nights’ sleep last night, hoping ours will do the same… fingers crossed πŸ™‚

Sophie October 17, 2011 at 1:57 pm

What a beautiful boy you have! I can’t wait for our baby to sleep that long and to discover her toes (not sure which one is more fabulous)…

Samantha October 17, 2011 at 2:22 pm

Oh Ashley and Aron he is a joy! That little Mister Hudson! What a darling! It’s so wonderful to watch him growing up here. Thank you so much for sharing.
XO
Sam

Eliana October 17, 2011 at 5:11 pm

I am reading your entry and I feel so identified…Alan in 4 months old and while I am reading your thoughts I find myself saying: yes, did that, yes, did that too…It is amazing, every day there is something new…
Your baby looks so tall ! How long is he?
Love, Eliana

WhitMc October 17, 2011 at 7:32 pm

He is adorable, those eyes just kill me!

Al October 17, 2011 at 10:19 pm

Just love seeing the monthly photos. We compare each new one with the previous month.

Anna October 17, 2011 at 10:58 pm

These photos are great, and what a cute kid! I know what you mean about editing baby photos – I already have about a thousand pictures of my 4 wk old, many of which are only slight variations of each other. But every time I drag one to the trash bin I get a stabbing pain in my heart πŸ™‚

Hope the fussiness lets up soon!

vitaminA October 18, 2011 at 12:14 am

Those eyes!! Those adorable feet!! he is so precious! Parenthood is so incredible and amazing πŸ™‚

Katdraws October 18, 2011 at 4:48 am

such a gorgeous little kid, sorry he was so stressed out coming home from vacation, I know how that feels, give me a holiday any day πŸ™‚ Love the last photo!

paige October 24, 2011 at 1:18 am

great post! he’s such a sweet, handsome boy!
and congrats on the 8-5 sleeping! zoey slept for 7.5 hours last night. it was pretty great. πŸ™‚

devorah October 28, 2011 at 12:06 am

I can’t believe how big he is! And cute! Well that part I can believe. You guys seem to be doing so great–taking vacations and everything! Xoxo