Dressing for cooler temps…

by Ashley on October 19, 2011

I just went back and looked at this guest post I wrote (pre-baby) for Alyson about a potential outfit for a nursing mom, and I’m happy to say that I still think it would be a good one! (The one challenge I encountered was that most of my pre-baby button-downs didn’t fit my post-baby chest–at least at first.) That said, this outfit along with some jeans and boots are probably going to beĀ  a bit of a uniform these next couple of months.

Still, despite the fact that it has barely dipped below 70, I already have half a dozen questions about how to really be comfortable yet stylish in colder weather. Does this mean I won’t be using my silk longjohn tops? Do I just put away all of my non-cardigan sweaters for the season? Will going under the shirt cease to be as viable an option when he’s six months old? Will my coats work with a carrier? And that’s not even counting questions about dressing him.

Those of you who have been through a winter already, what were your staples? Is the button-down-and-scarf combo going to be all I want to wear? Did you feel like you needed a different kind of coat to keep you warm in spite of lower necklines or the presence of a carrier?

[Top image via Totokaelo]

Jessie October 19, 2011 at 12:03 pm

I asked the same question about wearing a coat & using a carrier last winter (I used/currently use an Ergo). One solution that worked for us is I wore a lightweight fleece jacket (even in winter; I found my body temp changed after pregnancy & I got warmer more quickly). I also put my son in a lightweight fleece jacket or a fleece bunting (is that what it’s called? It was like a fleece onesie, for lack of a better description). Then I used a shawl I found on etsy made by Babyette. They’re these huge shawls that you can wrap around yourself & your baby. That was the best solution for us – I found it better than wearing him & then trying to button my coat around him. Good luck!

Jessie October 19, 2011 at 12:08 pm
Shayna October 19, 2011 at 1:13 pm

We haven’t gone through winter yet with E but I’ve found that I’m much more comfortable wearing my “normal” clothes now that I have more nursing time under my belt. I used to always wear a nursing tank under a shirt or sweater so that I could just pull up the top layer. Now I tend to just pull up or pull down the neckline and it works just fine.

As for the coat, I also found that I tend to run much warmer these days, especially with a babe strapped to my chest. I go for the open coat over the ergo. That said, it’s much warmer out her in California than on your side of the country!

HeatherK October 19, 2011 at 1:13 pm

I wore my carrier ( I used a bjorn) on top of my clothes and put my coat on top of the carrier. None of my coats would button this way, so I ended up wearing my husband’s coats for the winter. This way both you and your baby will be toasty warm!

Clare October 19, 2011 at 2:28 pm

This is a really good question! I nursed for 12 months so went through four seasons starting in the summer. I don’t own many button-down garments so I just pulled my tops up or down. Plus we lived in the South so the winters never really became ‘wintry’ or at least not for long, so heavier knits and lots of layering wasn’t a big issue. I think I agree with the earlier post who says that with more nursing time under her belt, you adapt and get used to wearing ‘normal’ clothes. Good luck figuring out your own path, there’s always something to worry about isn’t there!

Heather K October 19, 2011 at 6:07 pm

hudson has such a stylish mother!

Mary October 19, 2011 at 8:53 pm

i really love this outfit and am really glad that it’s working so well for you! we were on a really tight budget, so i really just lived in stretchy knit tanktops and cardigans. this worked for me because i often dress like that normally, but nonetheless, it was a very budget-friendly and comfortable way to navigate nursing. this way i could lift up my shirt and have my back still covered, and my front covered by my hooter hider. my favorite cardigan was an open, flowy knit one from gap. it’s not available anymore, but i’ve seen a million like it since then.

Caitlyn October 20, 2011 at 1:15 pm

I wore my very soft Gap maternity tank tops under any shirt or sweater. I would lift the outer layer and pull down the tank top and unhook the nursing bra, so that my stomach was covered by the tank top from below, and my top was covered by my shirt or sweater from above. Very discreet and warm since no skin is exposed. The maternity tanks meant they were longer and I had plenty of coverage.

Cathel October 26, 2011 at 2:01 am

I love the Peekaru (http://www.togetherbe.com/productDescriptionPeekaruOriginal.aspx). I used it for three years with my son Rover (front and back), and just started using it with my daughter Indy (8 weeks). Depending on how cold it gets I wear a coat, or wrap my maternity coat around both of us. See pictures on the blog (http://mamamarsupial.blogspot.com). I pull it up over my daughter’s head when nursing her, and usually she wants to stay there because it’s so warm (and she’s still so small). There’s a huge hole right above her head, so I don’t have to worry about fresh air (see pictures). I love sharing our body heat on cold days, and being able to take the Peekaru off when we go inside somewhere, without having to wake her up to take off her coat.