Care Package

by Ashley on October 4, 2011

Did you happen to see this post over on Odeedoh about Finland’s national gift to new moms? Can you imagine?

Hudson received all kinds of wonderful things celebrating his arrival: a ton of cute clothes, blankets knitted with love, and some toys that he is just now starting to notice. But there were also a few special gifts for me, and I couldn’t have been more grateful. Like the friend who showed up with cookies and sandwiches in the hospital, and who sent us a gift certificate for grocery delivery; or the one who helped us get our apartment professionally cleaned before Hudson arrived. And one girlfriend sent over a package with nipple salve for me and teething gel for Hudson–much appreciated so far!

What do you think are the best gifts for new parents? Do you have a gift you like to give?

B October 4, 2011 at 10:15 am

someone sent us a package of ‘baby’s first books.’ classics like good night moon, runaway bunny and other things i would have never thought to give a newborn!
we also had dinner delivered to our door for 3 weeks!!! from family and friends, that was the biggest relief of all.

Jill October 4, 2011 at 10:23 am

I cannot believe that! That reminds me of the maternity leave that other countries give to their female citizens and paternity to their male citizens… Crazy!

As for a “gift that I give”… I go back and forth. Right after I had my baby and we were attending showers, I was giving gift cards because I know how helpful those were to us and I wanted to give them the same opportunity. Then, I started giving diapers. Because… you need them and sometimes forget about them until your baby is here and then you’re running out to get them.

But my most favorite gifts to receive were things that people made specifically for C. Like the two quilts and the crocheted blankets and the hats and a block with… Those mean the most to me. Because they were made by someone’s hands that love him so much…

claire October 4, 2011 at 10:23 am

my husband and i adopted our son in july. we got the call on a tuesday (he was three days old) and brought him home on wednesday. we were told by our agency not to prepare too much just in case things fell through at the last minute, so we only had the essentials (diapers, car seat, wipes, formula, bottles, etc.) we really had no clue and really weren’t thinking about anything beyond that. fortunately,
our friends were amazing and brought over a lot of their baby gear (bassinette, swing, bouncy seat, snap and go) to help get us through the first few nights/days. they also brought over meals or had dinners sent over. this was huge and so so appreciated! you just don’t have the energy or time to think about what to eat or put something together. some other gifts we have received that have come in handy were aiden and anais swaddle blankets, sophie the giraffe, mustela bath products, more diapers, a copy of baby 411, target/gift cards and ADVICE.

Teryn October 4, 2011 at 1:34 pm

I think the best gift I received, though I didn’t realize it at the time, was 4 cases of diapers. At first I thought, “The babies will be adults before we ever get through all of these!!” Ah, how wrong I was. It wasn’t a fancy gift, but it was so needed.
I also agree that handmade/knitted gifts are so special. We’ll always treasure some knitted booties that were made for the boys by a dear friend.

She Used To Walk Fast October 4, 2011 at 4:07 pm

Every time one of my friends has a baby, I set up a dinner brigade for them through Take Them A Meal.com. It is so easy to set up and I think it’s always appreciated. I know when I had my kiddo meal planning was the last think I wanted to think about because I was so sleep deprived. I also let the people taking the meals know that it’s okay to just leave the meals on the front step. Sometimes entertaining guests isn’t much fun when you are that sleep deprived. đŸ™‚

I like to give a book to get their book collection started – one for when they are young (Bryon Bartons’s Planes is a favorite) and one for when they are older, usually Charlotte’s Web because it’s one of my favorite books ever.

Roberte from Montréal October 5, 2011 at 12:34 pm

I cooked 6 different receipes (about 18 suppers) for my daughter and son-in-law and they were very happy not to cook for a while. I’ve done that many times and always with success! As for the baby, I always buy a nice and big piggybank with $25 in dollar bill inside.