A less practical gift

by Ashley on October 6, 2011

First off, the folks who are receiving your meals and diapers as gifts are super lucky! I agree that new parents really appreciate any help they can get with keeping themselves fed.

Here’s another–less practical–gift idea for new parents: family photos. Aron and I are secretly (well, until now I suppose) always wishing that someone will take a candid photo of the three of us (and used to wish for one of the two of us). I  know it sounds funny; we take a gazillion photos and have plenty of each other, but it’s more rare that we’re in photos together. Occasionally we’ll ask someone to take one, but those snapshots–where we stand awkwardly posing with wide smiles–are never my favorite.

When I saw this lovely photo Joanna’s cousin took of her with husband Alex and son Toby, on vacation in England, it occurred to me that such a candid moment captured so beautifully is something so many new parents would treasure.  So the next time you visit your friends with the new baby in the hospital, or even when you see them all gathered around their one-year-old’s birthday cake, be sure to take pictures–and send them along!

Kiana October 6, 2011 at 12:15 pm

Such a good idea! You’re right, posed pictures are pretty cheesy. I think you should add that your whoever you ask to take your picture should be a pretty patient person because (at least in my experience) you always need a few shots to get one good one.

JWK October 6, 2011 at 12:49 pm

I couldn’t agree more!!! Terrific suggestion.

Jamie @ See You There! October 6, 2011 at 1:27 pm

Oh I loved this photo too when she first posted it, and also thought “wow I wish someone would take a pic like that of us!” and we don’t even have kids yet. What a great tip to suggest that people take a candid photo of a young family and give it to them. It is definitely a rare thing to have. Of course, the photographer would ideally need to be good at cropping a photo and using a camera correctly… most people don’t have the slightest idea how to do that. Even just for the cheesy pose-and-smile pics, this is the bane of my existence – “Hey stranger (or friend), can you take a pic of us in front of such-and-such landmark? Oh! Thanks for the pic with our heads smack in the center and tons of empty useless space all around, and the landmark cut off because you were trying to fit our feet into the frame. That’s really what I wanted. Pics of our feet.”

Jill October 6, 2011 at 3:10 pm

I feel the same way.

You know what I realized the other day. We don’t have a family picture until day 7 of Coen’s life when we had someone come to our house and take pictures. From that moment until about 2 months is when we have another family picture.

Are you kidding me? That’s terrible.

I’d love to have someone take a candid picture but I would want it with my camera and I don’t trust many people with my camera.

What a mess.

This picture is just beautiful! You cannot recreate that if you tried. They are so relaxed!

Eliana October 6, 2011 at 5:50 pm

I wish somebody would take pictures of me and my baby. My husband works abroad, we live in a foreign country and family & friends are far away. You cant imagine how much I wish a picture with my baby, any kind of gift….from someone….I wish people around here would read your blog and do more to welcome a cute baby and a new mum to this world!

gia October 6, 2011 at 8:46 pm

Great idea! I will try to do that!

joanna goddard October 25, 2011 at 10:41 am

aw, what a sweet post! thanks for featuring our photo:) and i agree!!! candid photos of families are the BEST, especially when the parents are typically taking so many shots of the baby and aren’t in many themselves:)