A babysitter–eek!

by Ashley on October 24, 2011

In an optimistic gesture, pre-Hudson, I bought tickets for us to see Andrew Bird play at the music hall in Tarrytown for Aron’s birthday. We figured that he would be anywhere from 8-14 weeks old, depending on when he arrived, and that we should do our best to get comfortable with using a babysitter early on.

On Thursday night, (the night before the show), I remembered about the tickets. Hudson has had a banner week as far as bedtime goes. Every night he falls asleep between 7 and 7:30 and stays asleep at least six hours. So with butterflies in our stomachs, we decided to start frantically asking friends for trusted babysitter recommendations and crossed our fingers that someone would be free and up for an evening of Netflix and babysitting at the last minute. And score!

When Hudson was about 10 days old, Aron and I snuck away to a party while my parents walked him around the West Village (which they loved), but this felt completely different. I think it took the entire drive out to Tarrytown to relax. By the time we walked into the tiny music hall and then went, beers in hand, to our seats, I was fine. It went so well! (The only hitch: I’m not sure I’m ready to stay up past 11pm yet.)

When do you think you will first use a babysitter? Or when did you? Were you able to relax while you were away? All I know if that for me, there’s no way I could have done this without feeling Hudson was learning to soothe himself to sleep. I can’t believe we thought we would be ready at 8 weeks! No way.

Ivonne Loving October 24, 2011 at 9:25 am

My son will be four in January and I have yet to leave him with a babysitter. I just can’t. Granted our social life has suffered from it but my husband and I exchanged night life for family life. Every now and then he and I will catch a movie and dinner thanks to my awesome MIL. We are home bodies anyway and neither is ready to trust anyone that is not family or closest friends with our son. I think it will be easier to do this when my son’s communication skills improve enough to tell us when something is wrong. We don’t think he is at that stage. Everyone’s comfort level is diferent and you will be able to leave your child with a babysitter only when your ready and the right babysitter comes along. Where I leave (a college town) there is (uff was) an all woman’s college, I have babysat for many of the professors there when I attended. You should try that, get to know them, have the babysitter come to your home while your working and you can see how she interacts with your child and how she behaves. It might make you more comfortable to do this before you actually leave your child alone with someone you do not entirely know.

Ashley October 24, 2011 at 9:37 am

Oops! Will have to edit my text as soon as I’m back at the computer to make it more clear that we did find someone! One of my husband’s bosses’ nanny. We trusted her, and mostly worried that he would wake up. We wanted him to be asleep the whole time since they wouldn’t meet. Sucess! I think it would be so hard finding someone without a trusted source.

Kiana October 24, 2011 at 12:46 pm

HaHa, so cute! I’m glad you guys managed to have a good time at the concert at any rate. How did Hudson react when you left or when you got back? Did he even notice you were gone? And how did he get on with the babysitter?

Ashley October 25, 2011 at 10:07 pm

We actually left once we had put him to sleep. He stayed sound asleep the entire time we were away, so the two never met. Ideally, the two would meet first, but Hudson doesn’t seem weary of strangers yet. Still, I’m glad he stayed asleep.

Thanks!

She Used To Walk Fast October 24, 2011 at 1:04 pm

Yeah for you! We got our first sitter when Luke was about 10 weeks old. She was a very good family friend and she continued to be Luke’s babysitter until she left for college. Note: make sure your babysitters are going to stick around for a long time. I lost all of my sitters to college this August. SAD! I have had the great good fortune to have sitters I trust completely. I always tell them, I’m not calling home. They’ll call me if there is a problem. There never has been once.

My husband and I are firm believers in taking time away from the kiddo and away from the house. That’s just what works for us. Luke, now three, is used to babysitters and he adores having someone there who will want to play crashing trains or cars or build-the-log-cabin–for-the-100th-time-that-day for hours on end and not need to be pulled away by housework or preparing dinner or whatever else we have to do. He loves his sitters and we love having the time to ourselves. It’s a win-win, but as I said, that is what works for us.

And that sounds like awesome sleeping on Hudson’s part. Yeah for that too!

SmithRatliff October 24, 2011 at 3:18 pm

Psst… we are always willing to babysit in a pinch! 🙂 Glad you guys had a good time.

Annie October 25, 2011 at 7:58 am

I’m glad to see you guys had an amazing night!

My baby is now 9 weeks old and I have spent a few nights out already (well, one night and 2 afternoons) with my boyfriend. Our moms babysat so we felt totally at ease. On the other hand, I don’t think i’d be ready yet to have a non-family babysitter watch our little angel. I’d worry way to much and wouldn’t be able to enjoy myself.

Let’s just hope I can let go before he’s 4 years old…

Amy October 25, 2011 at 11:51 pm

I remember leaving Audrey when she was 6 weeks old for the first time when my MIL was visiting… on the way too the movie I was so excited, but about an hour in the worry set in, and on the way home I was begging Cory to drive faster so I could get back to her! So primal the feelings…we’ve gotten used to the occasional sitter, we’re lucky to have two teenage girls as neighbors! But for the most part I enjoy being a homebody with my girls!! 🙂 Take care Ashley!! xx00

nicole spaz October 29, 2011 at 8:13 pm

speaking from a sitter…

while in HS, I watched my mom’s bosses twins from when they were toddlers and moved from NYC to CT. The girl has some development delays but I worked well with her to work on communication and eating food which was a struggle since she had issues with textures. Anyway, I used to watch them every friday night and most Saturdays were all day from 9am-11pm or so while the parents ran errands or or did whatever. Most of the time I was there as an extra set of hands because of extra care the girl needed. When they were 3 or so their baby sister arrived. I was so close with the family that I went to visit them in the hospital. She was born on a Monday and I went over for my typical Friday night babysitting job. Once the kids were down they left for about an hour for a quick dinner about 3 miles away. So if you do the math… she was 4 days old.
Even then there were times I would stay over when the husband was traveling so I could be an extra set of hands in case they all happened to wake up in the middle of the night or something.
oh I miss them sooo much…