Two months

by Ashley on September 21, 2011

We were in California on the 17th, the actual two-month-mark, so this is Hudson a day shy. I find it so bittersweet to see him growing so much. When people point out what I already know–he’s not a newborn anymore, he’s a baby!–I find myself thinking: have I drunk in every little expression? Did I take enough videos or photos of those skinny little limbs? Will I be able to remember what he like just two weeks ago? Because it just reminds me how much he’s changing each day! And yet it’s so wonderful to see. He continues to love standing on our laps and tracking bright lights. Just a few days ago we watched him as he batted at his toys–discovering cause and effect. He’s getting more content to sit on his own and look around; he’ll even tolerate the car seat for a little while now. And he’s cooing and holding little pretend conversations. He’s very serious-looking most of the time, but his hard-earned smiles can make my eyes water, they’re so wide and lovely. His whole face transforms and he works on finding a place to put his tongue as his grin expands ear to ear. He also has a new pout, with an intense lower-lip: he tries it out when his feet hit the bath water, but then he looks at us for reassurance and we start singing “Rubber Ducky,” and the smile returns.

His second month included his first earthquake, a hurricane, and a cross-continental flight! And he was a superstar on the airplane, sleeping soundly through most of the trip. He didn’t even wake up when we went through security! His one huge bowel movement that leaked all over on the way there didn’t seem to bother him at all–even if it shocked us a bit! Luckily, so many had told us about this happening to them on planes that we were plenty prepared with a change of clothes. The only hiccup was that our plane didn’t have any running water (ewww!)–only hand sanitizer. Thank goodness for baby wipes. (And thanks, everyone, for the encouragement! We look forward to the next flight!)

[Month One]

Connie @ Daydream In Color September 21, 2011 at 10:00 am

He really has been through more than most babies with the natural disasters & plane flights! He is soo cute. The photos just make me “aww.”

Nicole September 21, 2011 at 10:13 am

What a little man! I know I’m going to love watching him grow via baby mine.

Maggie September 21, 2011 at 12:25 pm

What a little hero! It’s great to hear that Hudson enjoyed his first flight, perhaps he has the love for travelling in his genes:)

alyson September 21, 2011 at 2:20 pm

he’s looking more like a big kid – definitely not a newborn anymore. but I totally feel you on the “am I taking enough photos”. I miss W being so small.

glad to hear your first flight went well!

Ashley September 22, 2011 at 10:48 pm

Thanks, Alyson! We put him in pants for the first time this week and he really looked like a kid.

Samantha September 22, 2011 at 5:03 am

Oh Ashley and Aron your little man is too much! What a darling! I love those serious little man looks!
XOXOXOX

Ashley September 22, 2011 at 10:45 pm

Yes, very intense sometimes! Thanks!

Michelle September 22, 2011 at 9:49 am

He is so lovely! Glad the flight was smooth.

Ashley September 22, 2011 at 10:45 pm

🙂 Thanks, Michelle!

Katdraws September 22, 2011 at 3:29 pm

He is just too sweet for words!

Ashley September 22, 2011 at 10:52 pm

Thanks, Kat!

Lisa September 23, 2011 at 12:43 pm

Too cute!

I’m due in November and my husband and I are contemplating a trip to Mexico when our son will be 8 weeks old. I’m freaking out that it is too soon to travel and that we will have to haul a bunch of stuff with us, and that it won’t really seem like a vacation since we will just be getting the hang of things. Any advice?

Ashley September 25, 2011 at 10:34 pm

Hi, Lisa–
Congratulations! How exciting! I’m sure you’ll be as nervous when the time comes, but I think you’ll be fine if you decide to make the plans. Hopefully things will go well with whatever feeding plans you have–that will make it smoother–but I definitely felt like 8 weeks was a fine time to travel. You’ll be more tired than usual and it’s true that it’s harder to relax overall, but I would imagine that it will still feel like a vacation (just a different sort of one) because you’ll be a threesome. Also, if your husband isn’t usually home except weekends, it will be nice to have all that time with a second set of hands helping. I think you might want to talk to your ped about the decision and the destination, and I might get some trip insurance or consider change fees when booking just in case of unanticipated problems that would cause a last minute change of plans. You never know… Best of luck!