Spell it out

by Ashley on September 23, 2011

I’ve always loved those magnetic letters and numbers for the fridge. These ones from Mudpuppy are made from recycled wood! (We took Hudson out to  his first gallery show last night and I ran into Emily, who suggested I check out Mudpuppy–thanks, Emily!)

We’re sharing a few photos from our trip on Hither & Thither later today. I’m probably going to keep flipping through the cute ones on my iPhone this morning to distract myself from anticipating this afternoon’s pediatrician appointment… it’s vaccination time.

O-U-C-H! (Any last-minute tips?)

Heather September 23, 2011 at 9:35 am

If you get all of the recommended vaccines I recommend giving him a little baby tylenol right before or immediately after the appointment. Our pediatrician was very non-chalant about it (“if he needs pain reliever later…”). He was knocked out for about an hour when we got home and then he cried like he had never cried before. I didn’t even have baby tylenol at home which resulted in a tearful call to my mom to bring me some. Good luck!!

Stacey September 23, 2011 at 7:11 pm

Sounds exactly like my experience!

Michelle J. September 23, 2011 at 9:45 am

He’ll be okay 🙂 It’s harder on us than it is on them. Make sure you have some baby Tylenol just in case he get a bit fussy.

B September 23, 2011 at 9:52 am

have a baby tylenol on hand! and the second the shots were over i asked if i could stay in the room to nurse, that helped big time. After she nursed, its as if nothing happend!

Erin September 23, 2011 at 10:07 am

My little boy has not been real keen on his pacifier, but I had it in his mouth for the shots and he definitely used it. He actually seemed ok at that point and right after the shots I nursed him in the waiting room using a nursing cover. The nursing seemed to help, too. I think the reason they don’t recommend tylenol prophylactically has to do with a question of reducing the immune response to the vaccinations. That said, I know a few moms who went ahead and just gave it immediately afterward and say that it definitely helped and there weren’t any issues with the vaccination responses. And certainly if he’s fussy afterward it would be good to have the tylenol close at hand! Good luck, I think I was definitely more bothered by the whole thing than he was!

Dana September 23, 2011 at 10:29 am

I’ve also heard the same about Tylenol and other pain meds – apparently the slight fever part of a vaccination is important to ensure its efficacy. One tip that always worked for me was nursing during the shots. It’s a little awkward to have the nurse that close to you with your boob out, but the babies appreciate it. You can always have his face under a nursing cover with just his legs sticking out if you feel uncomfortable. And both of my boys barely cried or didn’t cry at at when getting shots at the age. It wasn’t a big deal in the end. Good luck!

Michelle September 23, 2011 at 11:06 am

I agree with the other mommas, nurse him immediately after he gets the shots and the tears will stop. After my baby got her first shots I was amazed at how fast she stopped crying after nursing and wondered how long she would have cried if I was not breastfeeding. Add it to the long list of why breastfeeding is so wonderful! Good luck!

Lisa September 23, 2011 at 11:09 am

Other than nursing, medical literature has shown “sugar water” to be an effective way to reduce pain in babies less than one year of age. I know it sounds crazy to give your 2 month old sugar but it’s a very little amount with no significant effects. Researchers have found that the correct concentration of sugar triggers pain-killing chemicals in an infant’s brain.

Mix 2 small packets of regular sugar (each packet generally contains 3.5 grams) in one ounce (30ml) of water. Bring an infant dropper/syringe. Give baby some drops 2 minutes before shots (or even during!)…effects only last about 5 minutes or so. Worked pretty well for us…good luck, Mama!

Maggie September 23, 2011 at 5:35 pm

I’m a medical student and I’ve been at a baby clinic at vaccination times. The best thing that the mums can do is to be as calm as possible and try to avoid fussing over the baby too much before the vaccination and afterwards as well. Sometimes the babies didn’t even notice they’ve just had an injection! In the UK if a baby is to receive multiple injections at one visit, they are all administered at the same time (one injection in each thigh),which also helps a lot. Hope it goes well for you and Hudson!

Ashley September 23, 2011 at 5:54 pm

Thanks everyone! It went really well! The doctor says about 10% develop fevers or have reactions, but most have no issue except that moment of pain. I picked up some baby tylenol before the appt with the intention of giving him some, but ended up just nursing him in the moments prior while discussing sleep with the pediatrician–thinking that the sugar content in the milk might be good. (Aron had also mentioned the use of sugar water during their procedures when acetomeniphen was recalled briefly.) Then I brought him back to the breast immediately following, He screamed and squeezed my finger while getting the injections in both legs and wouldn’t open his eyes to look at the little toy I brought for distraction, but it went so quickly anyway and he calmed down right away once he started nursing. The doctor had a look at the tylenol I’d bought and went over dosage with me in case I need to use it post-injections.

So he was a champ and *so far* so good as far as mood and fever go. Now I’m just wringing out my clothes while he sleeps… as we had to walk to the appt in a torrential downpour!

Thanks again for all the tips! It was great to hear all of your encouragement.

Ashley September 25, 2011 at 10:28 pm

Update: We did end up giving him a dose of Tylenol that night. He felt warm and seemed a little sad. 🙁 But he was fine the next morning!