Sensible snacking?

by Ashley on September 12, 2011

I’ve started a bad habit that’s going to take some work to kick: dessert for dinner.

Or more accurately, dessert that spoils my appetite for dinner. I don’t actually get around to having a square breakfast or lunch (often snacking on sweets then, too) and come 3 or 4 in the afternoon, I reach for dessert–ice cream, preferably. I did such a great job eating healthy meals while I was pregnant, but now I need to be sure my breastmilk contains more than calcium from a diet high in Haagen Daaz.

I’m thinking I need to start making some vegetable enchiladas on Sundays that I can heat up for a quick lunch during the week (these maybe? one could add edamame for more protein), and keep more single-serving yogurts in the fridge. Maybe I need to keep the blender handier for smoothies? Place a platter of sliced fruit out each morning? Going on the to-do list…

Any other suggestions (or favorite recipe, enchilada or otherwise)? I’d love some inspiration!

(P.S. Thank you for all of the birthday wishes!)

Alli September 12, 2011 at 10:13 am

Make a trail mix of dried fruit, nuts, and seeds you can keep handy for high protein snacking (and a kick of the sugar you’re craving, from the dried fruit). Kalustyan’s http://kalustyans.com/ has great provisions you can buy in bulk–it’s a wonderland in there!

Ashley September 12, 2011 at 11:12 pm

Great suggestion, Alli. I need to get myself up there asap.

Ana September 12, 2011 at 12:17 pm

Gosh! I am the worst snacker in the whole world. I could eat sweets and cakes any time. I need to pack some veggies more often.

Heather from the bar September 12, 2011 at 12:54 pm

Cereal! I would buy kashi or honey bunches of oats and always have a bowl or baggy of it with me. I had to give up dairy until recently because Declan was sensitive to it so dry cereal was my fave. Baby carrots, peanut butter on toast… Hummus and pita chips from trader joes… But I also never said no to a donut or piece of cake at work 😉

Ashley September 12, 2011 at 11:13 pm

Hummus and pita would be great. I need some easy grabs like that. Thanks for the suggestion!

Jessie September 12, 2011 at 3:41 pm

Hi, I’m a longtime reader (I’ve heard us referred to as “lurkers”, too!) of your other website & am now enjoying this one as well.

I have a 14 month old son & found that I started to put back on the pregnancy weight that I worked off! I think it’s because sometimes I am so busy with a little one on the move & I just reach for something easy. Which is usually something sweet. I like to keep a stash of hard boiled eggs & cheese sticks for the times when I need a quick snack & don’t want to reach for the cookies (again). Apple slices with peanut butter is another good snack.

Good luck!

Ashley September 12, 2011 at 11:15 pm

Thanks, Jessie! Nice to finally meet you! 🙂 And thank you for the great ideas. I often forget how good apple and peanut butter (or almond butter) is. And hard boiled eggs are perfect.

Joanna September 12, 2011 at 4:05 pm

I have a very sweet tooth and make the mistake of thinking that because I’m running round after my son all day and feel quite shattered, I MUST be burning trillions of calories so it’s okay to guzzle cake / biscuits / chocolate etc. etc which I do on a regular basis and with great gusto. I’m probably burning a few extra calories, but not that many. Sigh. So, I do like and try to eat as alternatives:
– cheese oatcakes (low GI) or crackers with a big scoop of hummus /salsa/tzatziki
– any of the above dips with a massive hunk of cucumber or stick of celery
– a handful of almonds and dried apricots or dried apple
– a few squares of dark chocolate
– toasted teacake / muffin (English) with honey
– a fruit salad by Nigella Lawson (an English cook); she mixes mango with blueberries and pomegranate seeds and squeezes over the juice of a lime, it’s delicious…I’m not a massive fruit person but I often keep a big bowl of this in the fridge and maybe even have it with a big spoonful (or even three) of my favourite yoghurt
– popcorn that I pop myself (just in a pan with a splash of oil) with lo-sodium salt (or no salt at all, humph
– slice of toast with half an avocado
– those quick cook egg noodles with a splash of soy sauce
Which reminds me… now need to clean out the cupboards of oreos, salt and vinegar crisps, cadbury’s animal bars, chocolate mousse, jelly bellies, stop eating all my son’s left over fish fingers and cheese on toast and shop for all detailed on list above.

Ashley September 12, 2011 at 11:16 pm

Wow! Thank you so much for all the great ideas! That fruit salad sounds delicious! I really appreciate it.

Lauren September 12, 2011 at 10:25 pm

Have you tried the Skyris brand of Icelandic yogurt? It’s delicious, less tart than greek yogurt and packed with protein…you could even toss in a couple table spoons of dark chocolate chips for extra decadent low-guilt snacking.

Ashley September 12, 2011 at 11:17 pm

I haven’t–but will! Their packaging is so beautiful. Thank you!

Margaret September 13, 2011 at 1:22 pm

“Make it Fast, Cook it Slow” cookbook for slow-cookers. Great meals to freeze or refrigerate and heat up when you’re ready to eat. Delicious and fast!

Laura September 14, 2011 at 3:44 pm

Hey – have been lurking around and enjoying your pages for awhile.

I am a nutritionist and perpetually hungry 8 months-pregnant lady:

Really quick snacks to satisfy your sweet tooth and get some protein too:
Cheese + Apple (or pear or grapes)
Peanut Butter + Apple (or banana)

Yummy easy chilaquiles casserole (use regular cheese though!): http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/chilaquiles_casserole.html

Isabelle September 21, 2011 at 2:25 am

Most have been covered. Dried fruit, fresh fruit (especially kiwis and bananas and apples for me), walnuts and almonds, hard boiled eggs, hummus with veggies or whole grain crackers, yoghurt (not non-fat), cheese, avocados, nut butters. When I was ravenous from breastfeeding, for some reason the best most desired filler was a thick dense slice of banana bread with a tall glass of cold milk. I pretty much ate entire loaves of the local bakery’s prize-winning banana bread every other day for a while. And not just any banana bread. It had to be the super heavy very banana-flavorful one from that particular bakery. Sigh. Have a great trip.

Ashley September 22, 2011 at 10:53 pm

Yummmmm… banana bread!

gia September 21, 2011 at 4:03 pm

-chopped zuchini, tomato, cauliflower, onion all roughly chopped with chunks of mozzarella and italian dressing. (veggies are from the farmers market- get it while you can! :)) Keep in fridge!
-ww pita with tomato sauce, kale, and mozzarella- this I can eat for dinner every night of the week, just cook it in the oven for 15-20 minutes at 420.
-banana with almond butter all over it.
-rykrisp and nutella is a new favorite.. or on whole wheat bread for more substance. I read that nutella has a low glycemic index, so that is good.
-I always love making muffins with greek yogurt, whole wheat flour and bananas, and just keep in freezer for emergencies. I’m not sure where I found that recipe..
-corn chips, beans, salsa, plain yogurt.

I wonder if these have enough fat for you, I’ve heard women burn like 500 calories breastfeeding. Anyway, maybe they are a start. I’m kind of obsessed with healthy food, though at times you wouldn’t know it! 🙂
Good blogs: healthygreenkitchen.com, eatliverun.com.

Ashley September 22, 2011 at 10:46 pm

Such great suggestions–thank you! Let me know if you have a recipe for the muffins–intriguing! I think I might be pulling out almond butter and bananas tomorrow…

helen September 22, 2011 at 10:34 am

I love this Tuscan Ribolita during in the cooler months:

Ashley September 22, 2011 at 10:44 pm

That sounds delicious, Helen! Thank you!

Bonnie September 22, 2011 at 12:03 pm

My first months with baby were spent wondering the same things. My go-to snacks became plain yogurt with granola bars crunched up in them (because buying granola would have been too easy? expensive?) and carrots and hummus. Plus a lot of cookies…breastfeeding can make you thirsty, which can cause sugar cravings, says my knowledgable sister.

But the reason I’m responding is that I lived next door to Trader Joe’s while I was home with baby, and I went there every single day to 1. get out of the apartment and 2. to get their pre-made sandwiches, wraps or soup so I’d actually eat something that didn’t come out of a box. Plus, it’s somewhat thrifty! (And I think you might be able to replicate this experience?)

Of course, you and Aron could go on a sandwich-making and healthy-muffin-baking spree and pop everything in the freezer. These will last for months and take only a few minutes to defrost. And seriously, it will be hours later by the time you remember that you actually took something out of the freezer.

Ashley September 22, 2011 at 10:42 pm

Good call, Bonnie! I have to remember to head over there now that I’m actually home at off-peak shopping hours. So true re the freezer…

gia September 23, 2011 at 3:48 pm

I found it! http://www.meatlessmonday.com/greek-yogurt-banana-muffins/ This recipe worked fabulously.. even my dad liked them. The bananas make them oily in a good way. Next time I would add seeds, nuts, coconut or choc. chips or all, to give it a little more kick.