Returning to the Highline

by Ashley on September 6, 2011

Thank you for all the well-wishes for my check-up last week. When the time came, I felt good heading to the office and everything was peachy-keen on my end; Hudson, on the other hand, wasn’t so intent on making the trip to the doctor easy. It was my fault for trying to accomplish too much, but suffice to say I was already a little worn out by the time we got into the cab. He hates being in the car seat and about half-way there let out that heart-wrenching, two-toned, throaty cry that seems to signal torture. And while we’re moving, there’s little to do about it. Except of course cry “let us out here” and then walk-run the rest of the way through the crowds milling around Grand Central while carrying him, pushing the stroller, and doing my best to shield him from the midday sun. When the doorman asked for my i.d. and my bag’s contents went flying, I think the welling tears in my eyes were enough to scare him into dismissing security protocol. I was collecting myself, about to finally walk into the office when Aron stepped off the elevator and I just started to cry. It was the first time I was happy that my doctor was running late with his appointments.

All of this is just to say that it has been a roller coaster of a week ! When we’re tired and Hudson seems hard to console or get to sleep, it’s easy to forget that just an hour prior he was cooing and (drumroll) smiling! And yet, when I think back on the week, it’s really those smiles that stand out. There was even a smile in the bathtub!

At the end of that exhausting day last week, we all walked out to the Highline (one of the first places we took Hudson) and enjoyed the breeze off the river. Hudson practiced his new favorite trick on our laps: he loves to stand up. He clenches his fists and waves his arms; and it’s almost impossible to getย  him to bend his knees, even though he clearly gets worn out from all the effort. It was such a lovely hour.

Hope your holiday weekend was a good one. Can you believe it’s September already? Seriously?

[Photos from Hudson’s second trip to the Highline. See his first, here.]

Katdraws September 6, 2011 at 8:41 am

How does he react between Aron with glasses and Aron without? I wear pretty big glasses, and I’ve noticed babies who arent used to it, get pretty freaked out by my eyes,. well at least thats what I thought it was ๐Ÿ™‚

B September 6, 2011 at 9:26 am

It seems that when babies are at their wits ends screaming for wtvr reason, remembering that they were ever smiling/happy is almost impossible.

Alli September 6, 2011 at 10:08 am

Ashley, thank you so much for this honest account of an instance of your life as a new parent! I’m glad the craziness passed, though, and you all were able to relax on the Highline with a smiley Hudson.

Erin September 6, 2011 at 10:25 am

First, congratulations, Hudson is a beautiful baby!! I’ve been following your blog and I just wanted to commend you for all you’ve done with him so far! I have my own little 7 week old now and even managing to prioritize a shower seemed like a big deal for the first 6 weeks. And I totally know what you mean, life is very minute-to-minute these days. Also, I think that coming off of a week that included an earthquake and a hurricane (and for us an evacuation…), last week was bound to be a little crazy… at least that’s what I tell myself ๐Ÿ˜‰ Hope you’re getting a little bit of sleep at night!

Samantha September 6, 2011 at 11:41 am

Oh Ashley! He’s growing up so fast! What a dreamboat! And the smiles oh my!
Xo
Sam

She Used To Walk Fast September 6, 2011 at 4:02 pm

Ohhh! He’s a real baby now and not a teeny newborn and he is absolutely beautiful.

I have totally been there with an over tired baby. I once pulled the car over two blocks from my house to nurse because I knew neither he nor I could make it another second. Sounds like the Highline was just what the doctor ordered. Take care.

paige September 6, 2011 at 5:04 pm

oh boy do i know that cry…
zoey screams so hard, you’d think we were torturing her! usually it’s because her diaper is full.
hudson is quite a cutie! i can’t believe how old he’s looking…like a little man! and he looks like daddy, to me. ๐Ÿ™‚
i’m glad you are able to remember the smiles and playful moments with him. ๐Ÿ™‚

Whitney September 6, 2011 at 7:43 pm

Congrats on making it out the door and to the check-up, regardless of tears shed! If it makes you feel better, I had similar awesome plans for my post-partum checkup, but my daughter felt differently. By the time the doctor came to do my exam, my daughter was crying so hard that I actually (at my doctor’s urging) had my exam WHILE breastfeeding. That was a “special” moment I never, ever, thought I would endure.

Rout September 7, 2011 at 3:53 am

Yet Iยดm without children, but while living in the center of THE big city in germany
i often discuss whether living with children here or in a smaller town, where we both have also our career and less stress to organise the things around.
Did you somtimes think about raising kids outside the “melting pot”?
Or did you already decided living family life in NYC?

Thanks for sharing your big city life with precious little Hudson!

Michelle September 7, 2011 at 10:15 am

Thanks so much for being so honest! Sometimes it’s hard to find a bloggin’ momma who also writes about the tough times. (I understand though that people like to keep their blogs only positive, but personally I prefer a bit of real life too!)
I had several of those crying break downs with my little one (wait I still do every once an a while) and I’m so glad you have a sweet supportive husband to help you! Hudson is so darn cute!

sarah September 11, 2011 at 8:55 am

I feel for you…My daughter hated being in the car seat too, and even the short rides were usually a nightmare! Now when she’s already two and a half it’s become easier, but I guess that’s only because of the dvd player in our van. She loves the Maisy Mouse cartoons.