First flight

by Ashley on September 16, 2011

Today is a big day… today we head to the airport and board a flight to California. It will be the first of many flights for Hudson and I’m glad we’re starting early, but I’d be lying if I said we weren’t nervous. The fear of nonstop crying (unlikely) and being the object of fellow passengers’ ire (hmmm) just slightly trumps the fact that he’s just barely over eight weeks old and could end up sitting in close quarters with someone’s carry-on illness. Truth be told, the car seat rides to and from the airport and then once we’re in California are probably scariest of all!

And yet there’s another part of me that is excited to face those fears and introduce our little baby to a lifetime of travel. Fingers crossed!

Here’s a great list of tips for traveling with a baby–from Hannah, who contributed on Hither and Thither. Joanna, Elisabeth, and Vicky also shared some helpful thoughts. I’ve poured over all of them and look forward to one day adding our list to the lot.

[Image via]

Teryn September 16, 2011 at 10:33 am

I have no doubt that Mr. Hudson is going to be a champion flyer! The anticipation of what could go wrong is always the worst part. Do your best to focus on each individual task as you confront it — rather than feeling overwhelmed by all the future “what-ifs.”
Such an exciting milestone!!

Ashley September 16, 2011 at 12:33 pm

Such good advice. Thank you!
Will take it a step at a time. Details to come!

nicole September 16, 2011 at 1:31 pm

good luck! I did a flight with an 18 month old and had to change his diaper on my lap. you do what you have to do. Once you get through it you realize it was not that bad since you have just arrived at your destination.

Have fun in CA

Alex September 16, 2011 at 2:50 pm

Good luck Ashley! We fly with Sophie all the time (just flew back from France with her!), as well as back and forth to the east coast. When she was young, it was actually much easier, as she slept most of the time. Hope you get some understanding neighbors and a plane with a changing table (unfortunately many still don’t have changing tables!) Don’t forget to bring extra diapers and clothes in case you have unexpected delays!

Erin September 16, 2011 at 3:29 pm

Flying with Miles as a baby was a lot easier than as a toddler — immobility is key in this case. Keeping my fingers crossed, but I’m sure he’ll/you’ll do great.

Virginia September 16, 2011 at 5:24 pm

Devin would watch people board the plane and then once the engines turned
On and started humming that loud noise put him to sleep and he stayed asleep!
It’s binky time if all else fails. I only used the Gumdrop brand pacifiers that are sold online http://www.gumdroppacifier.com They are best for 100% BF babies- nipple is closest to moms. They are on FB too. Have a great trip!

Whitney September 16, 2011 at 7:36 pm

California! Whoot, that is my territory. Good luck on the travel, sending vibes for a happy relaxed baby who decides planes are just like cribs, only with more people.

Amanda September 16, 2011 at 9:36 pm

Hudson is lucky to have parents that will encourage him to travel and see the world! He’ll learn so much!

erica @ expatriababy September 19, 2011 at 9:55 pm

Good luck with the first flight! I took my daughter on her first trans-pacific flight when she was 10 weeks old. Since then, she’s been on 12 inter-continental flights (and she’s only 15 months). All but 2 of those trips were solo-parenting flights. And I can tell you, it’s really not as bad as people make it out to be.

My travel tips: Bring way less than you think you’ll need (you CAN buy diapers in airports, after all). And get your kid a frequent flyer card RIGHT AWAY. Serious. I missed A LOT of points for my daughter by putting this off.

Emma September 20, 2011 at 1:44 am

I have followed your journey to meet little Hudson since Baby Mine was created. I was only a couple weeks behind you also waiting for our little man arrive. Congratulations on your precious genius!

I am grateful for your post yesterday. I had post flight booking anxiety… My husband is about to take a 3 week business trip to Arizona (we live in singapore) and our little Sammy is a wee 6 weeks at the time of his departure. My family live in Tasmania, Australia and yesterday I booked to travel home (approx 9 hours flying, 14 hours travel) to have family support while my husband is out of town.

Like you I am a torrid of emotions; fear of nonstop crying, flu season, too much baby equipment not enough hands. At the other end of the spectrum is the excitement of returning home after 3 years overseas with my delightful little man.

The prospect of flying solo with Sam was daunting until I read your post and the comments from fellow readers. Im still nervous but now reassured that Sammy and I will have a journey to remember.

You can be assured that as Hudson is such a spunk there will be plenty of people wanting to assist just for that moment to reconnect with a newborn.

Travel safe and enjoy CA

Ashley September 22, 2011 at 11:01 pm

Thanks, Emma! 3 weeks… definitely sounds worth the flight! You’ll do great. Bring a comfy neck pillow. I actually found the trickiest part was getting comfortable myself once he was asleep. He actually had no trouble at all, but my arm got a bit tired of supporting him and I had trouble finding a good place to rest my head without moving too much. Best wishes!

joanna goddard September 20, 2011 at 6:47 am

good luck!! i know he’ll do amazingly on the trip. he is a little champ!! xoxo

louboutin homme femme April 18, 2014 at 1:34 pm

Woah! I’m really loving the template/theme of this website.
It’s simple, yet effective. A lot of times it’s very hard to get
that “perfect balance” between superb usability and visual appeal.

I must say that you’ve done a very good job with this.
In addition, the blog loads very fast for me on Chrome. Superb Blog!

louboutin homme femme

seo Luton October 4, 2014 at 12:34 am

Attractive sectioin of content. I jusat sumbled upon your website
and in accession capital to assert that I acquire actualoly enjoyed
acccount your blog posts. Anyway I’ll be subsccribing to your feeds and even I
achievement you access consistently fast.