Closet Space: Hudson’s crib

by Ashley on September 28, 2011

Hudson is now occasionally sleeping in his crib, so I thought it might be a good time to share some photos of Aron’s closet-space-turned-nursery. There are really two doors inside our apartment: one to the bathroom, and one beside the bed leading to the walk-through closet that leads to the bathroom (you can see it behind Hudson in the monthly photos.). The rest of our apartment is an open studio. So we moved Aron out of his side of the closet (which was really just a nook with a dresser and a bar we installed) and into our front closet–after renting a storage space to make room for the shift.

With great anticipation, we wallpapered the little space with the Animal Farm pattern, hung a bright mobile, and set up the Alma mini crib (which fits perfectly)! I enjoy showing him the wallpaper and pointing out the animals. Most of them have sounds I can make (notable exceptions being the squirrel and rabbit), and he loves the high-contrast. And his crib is so close to my side of the bed that it’s practically a co-sleeper (we thought).

The first night Hudson was home, we realized we worried about the circulation and rolled the crib out into the main room with plans to buy a fan. And then we worried about just about everything else. He’d go to sleep on his back, promptly raise his little swaddled legs in the air like a gymnast on the parallel bars and flip onto his side. We were up constantly to check on our little side-sleeper, who suddenly seemed too far away. He must have thought he seemed too far, too; he much preferred falling asleep on our chests–which would have been fine if we weren’t then terrified we’d drop him or crush him in our sleep. (Basically a dominant theme of weeks one and two was a fear of accidentally killing this little baby they let us bring home.)

Since then, Hudson has been sleeping in a little co-sleeper in our bed, right between us. And even then, I tend to pull back the covers, pull him in next to me, and snuggle up for the last night-sleep cycle. Essentially, he made his way closer and closer every night. That is, until this week, when we decided to have the first sleep cycle happen in the crib. He has been going to bed much earlier lately, so the partially-closed door allows us to actually carry on dinner and conversation with a little less fear of waking him! We sort of miss him even though he’s just a few feet away, but in the early mornings, he still comes back into bed–so it seems like the best of both worlds (at least until we go to that world where he doesn’t wake up at 4 or 5 a.m.)

(P.S. Remember this book on where children sleep? )

Erin September 28, 2011 at 9:00 am

Smart use of space, & I love that wallpaper. I live in a similarly sized studio right now, and I cannot imagine sharing with my partner and a baby – you both must have endless patience! Are you guys planning on finding a new home in the near future?

Samantha September 28, 2011 at 9:02 am

Oh Ashley he looks so sweet in his little crib! I love the space you created for him. My husband and I live in a studio in Paris and have always wondered where we would put a crib when the time comes.
Great inspiration came from Jordan’s closet nursey on Oh Happy day. Have you seen it? http://ohhappyday.com/2011/02/moses-and-romans-closet-part-iii/
Xo
Sam

May September 28, 2011 at 10:55 am

Lovely space.
I don’t want to be alarming, being electricity EMF sensitive myself, I notice what looks like an electric switchbox high above the crib area. Check out the web site for… www emwatch dot com… information about EMF protection, how far away is safe from a variety of electrical devices and such.

Kiana September 28, 2011 at 5:00 pm

I love this nursery! It is one of the few I’ve seen that are not over the top cutesy in that make-me-want-to-barf way :) I was wondering though, since your space is so small, how do you keep from accidentally waking him up in the daytime when you guys are going about your everyday lives?

Jill September 28, 2011 at 8:58 pm

Just wanted to say that this is the sweetest baby space that I’ve seen! What a great use of the space and I love how it turned out. Love that wall paper too! So sweet.

Oh and I love that last night stretch cuddle too! So special. :)

ivy September 28, 2011 at 10:51 pm

beautiful little nursery – love the colors. (who applied the wallpaper so perfectly?) i had never heard of the in-bed co-sleeper, so i’m going to check that out. wondering whether you ever considered the babybunk: http://www.babybunk.com/

ashlee September 29, 2011 at 1:12 am

Aww so cute! I LOVE LOVE LOVE the wallpaper and the crib…which doesn’t actually look that small. Thanks for the pics :)

Heather K September 29, 2011 at 11:22 am

soooo cute!!!!

Abbey October 14, 2011 at 9:47 pm

LOVE this!

Jacquetta April 11, 2012 at 7:09 pm

Lovely! I am obsessed with the Alma mini crib, and while I do not have children yet, my partner and I plan to expand soon so I’d love to hear more about your experience with the Alma (pretty please) as your baby boy grows.

Ashley April 11, 2012 at 7:59 pm

Thanks! Take a look at http://www.hitherandthither.net today–I did an update post about how he’s doing in it at nine months… :)

Misty June 27, 2012 at 12:59 am

Where did the crib come from?? looks great!