Clear skies ahead?

by Ashley on August 29, 2011

We weathered a hurricane this weekend–a first for all three of us. Fortunately, the storm didn’t cause much damage around us, and we weren’t seriously impacted (save for some anxious anticipation and cabin fever). In fact, Hudson was so nonplussed by it all that he slept nearly six hours straight–right through the storm! Hooray! (Do you think it will happen again?)

We’re not planning to start any sleep-learning yet,  but we have started to read about routines and such to think ahead. Any favorite books on sleep? I’ve heard recommendations for the The No-Cry Sleep Solution (seems nice); Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child; and The Sleepeasy Solution.

May Woznek August 29, 2011 at 9:52 am

From day one of their births, I had excellent results with at night low light, low sounds, and slow gentle movements with my sons during their night wake ups. That atmosphere signals relax and sleep almost like being in a state of meditation.

Heather August 29, 2011 at 9:57 am

One thing I wish we started right from the beginning is a bedtime routine. Bath, baby massage, lullaby/book, bed. Or something like that. When Declan was born it was right in the beginning of lacrosse season (my husband coaches) so every night the schedule was different. To this day we don’t follow a set schedule at all in the evening and while it is nice that we know we can go out to dinner with him in tow, we sometimes find ourselves watching a baby bouncing up and down in bed at 10 pm, thinking it is time to play. Best of luck, and glad to hear all is well after Irene!

Mfree August 29, 2011 at 11:02 am

I just read through the 90 minute sleep program which several friends recommended. We’re planning to try it out once our little on arrives. Due 9/19!

Margaret August 29, 2011 at 12:55 pm

I LOVE Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child. I have probably read it 10 times (My son is 14 months old and started spontaneously sleeping 12 hours at night at 9 weeks thanks to Dr. Weissbluth–and some good luck!).

Also– “The Baby Sleep Solution: 12 Weeks to 12 Hours” by Suzy Giordano is AMAZING. I recommend it to everyone who is having a baby and is looking for information about sleep schedules. It’s very well organized, easy to read quickly, and gives very clear instructions. Her regime begins when the baby is around 6 weeks. It’s very gentle and pediatrician approved. As the baby gets older, she does controlled crying for sleep training, which is a happy medium for people who aren’t comfortable going all the way to cry it out but are looking to teach their babies to sleep.

Feel free to contact me with any more questions about sleep books. I’ve read them all!

Kathy August 29, 2011 at 1:28 pm

Good to hear the storm didn’t cause much damage! 🙂

We only read one sleep book (The Baby Sleep Solution by Suzy Giordano) and it worked wonders for us. I think everyone has a different parenting style so finding a book that fits your style would be best. We loved Suzy’s book and it clicked for us. Our daughter is now 2 and she still goes to bed every night without a fuss (she usually sings herself to sleep!).

Good luck!

Ashley August 29, 2011 at 8:01 pm

That’s so cute!

Kelly August 29, 2011 at 2:18 pm

I love “Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child” – this sounds silly but it changed our lives. It taught me how babies/young children should be sleeping. I had no idea at what time they should sleep or how much. I’ve read it multiple times for each of our three children. They are all great sleepers now.

She Used To Walk Fast August 29, 2011 at 4:53 pm

I know Ferber gets a bad rap sometimes but How To Solve Your Child’s Sleep Problems is awesome. I have given it to countless people and it works. I think a lot of people think he is all about shutting the door and letting them cry for hours on end. Not so!

Anyway, it’s excellent and it covers all ages and issues from infants to toddlers to sleep walking and teenage sleep issues. If you don’t want to read the whole thing, just skip to the page with the chart on the intervals. My two-almost-three-year old is a great sleeper but I’m not going to say it was a walk in the park to get there. The worst is the 2.00 in the morning crying jag that goes on and on and on. Those are the times you just want to claw your ears out.

Yeah for surviving Irene! Yeah for getting to six weeks! Yeah for six hours of sleep!

Ashley August 29, 2011 at 8:02 pm

Thank you all so much for the tips! I’ll be doing some bookstore browsing with these titles in mind.

Kate August 30, 2011 at 1:26 am

I have a two year old who is a wonderful sleeper now, but in the first year he did what the majority of children do: wake up during the night.

One day at my mother’s group it dawned up me that despite all the different methodologies the parents were employing to get their babies to sleep through the night (from the very gentle ‘no-crying’ to the more structured and ferberizing) none of the babies were.

They do eventually and, in the meantime, I decided to trust my own tuition. The best things my husband and I did was to put all the books about sleeping away, make a pact not to talk about our son’s sleep (or lack thereof) and accept that our son was simply doing what babies do. Instead we focused upon how we, as a family, could support each other through this very exhausting, but ultimately precious time in all our lives.

Having said that, The No-Cry Sleep Solution is really fabulous. It made me realise how important it is to set-up a routine and optimum sleep conditions.

B August 30, 2011 at 2:30 pm

gotta get urself a copy of Secrets of the Baby Whisperer. by Tracy Hogg. Changed my parenting life!!

Chantale August 31, 2011 at 9:39 am

First of all, Congratulations on baby Hudson! I just saw his face on the cards.. lol. Beautiful baby (and I’m not just sayin’ that). Only a few weeks old and already weathered Irene.. Nice. I also loved the Baby Whisperer. Really amazingly helped me out. Don’t ‘do it by the book’.. just take what she writes and adapt your own style and schedule. Some babies don’t need much sleep and some families love and can live with a bohemian schedule.. but listen to Heather up there. Bedtime routine is the foundation to a nicer and early night later on! Also, try not to sleep with the kiddo.. 6 years later and my sister and hubby have yet to spend an entire week each night in their own bed.. Enjoy your newbie there!

Amelia August 31, 2011 at 10:47 am

I read all three of those and got a lot out of them, with a couple of main take home points: Absolutely every single family will do it a little bit differently and the most important thing about choosing any one ‘method’ is to just be super consistent with whichever one you feel works best for you. The second thing is that it’s a great idea to be doing the reading now (as you are) so that it feels very natural as the three of you evolve in your sleep habits together rather than reading furiously and trying to mix it up after 3 weeks of lousy sleep. Finally, when it was time to do a bit of ‘crying it out’ I always phrased it to myself more along the lines of ‘helping him learn how to soothe himself’ because that was the objective. We weren’t abandoning him, we were being the parents with our eye on the bigger picture. And honestly, it totally sucked, but we had one night of about an hour of crying, the next night was 15 minutes, and the third night was whimpers and then we had a little buddy that slept through the night. While I’m not suggesting that you go the crying-to-learn-to-self-soothe route when the time comes (because again, each family does what works best for them) I am offering that we had great success with that and at the end of the day it feels better to me that we had about an hour and a half total of crying instead of months and months of interrupted sleep. But right now? Cherish those midnight snuggles…it’s such an honor to witness these early months. 🙂

Brooke September 1, 2011 at 9:37 pm

Ashley – It is so important to explore all of these books so that you can carve out what feels right for you and your family. With my newborn clients, we focus on good – quality – feeds during the day, learning sleepy cues, aiding with self-soothing, and making sure that the long sleep stretches happen at night. Also consistency is so important – as are routines. Good luck and feel free to reach out if you have questions – http://www.sleepyonhudson.com

Deanna (Silly Goose Farm) September 3, 2011 at 4:02 pm

My first kid slept for 12 hours a night at 6 weeks old. The second one wouldn’t sleep for more that six hours in the night until he was 9 months old.

We didn’t fare as well as you with the Hurricane. Here’s a blog post I did on the matter, if you’d like to check it out: http://thesillygoosefarm.blogspot.com/2011/09/hurricane-irene.html

Good luck with the sleep!