Baby wear

by Ashley on August 19, 2011

I’ve been spending a lot of time wearing Hudson in his Sakura Bloom ring sling. He loves it! Provided he’s not hungry or sporting a heavy diaper, he will grow calm or fall asleep almost the instant I put him in it. I often still push his stroller along with me–having not quite mastered the art of carrying everything I need for long journeys along with him, and in case I need a break from having his hot little body up against me; it’s funny how passers-by tend to see us and then crane their necks to see who or what is in the (empty) stroller.

The most comical moments, however, are when Aron wears the baby. Hudson looks even tinier wrapped tightly against Aron’s large six-foot-eight frame and just about everyone remarks or squeals when they see the two of them (usually just after they have passed and believe they’re out of earshot). When we were in Central Park, the attention became overwhelming for poor Aron and he hid around a corner while I dashed into the bathroom at the Children’s Zoo!

We also have an Ergo as an option, which will likely get more use when Hudson gets bigger, but we’re especially loving the sling for these hot August days (the Ergo’s infant insert is hot!).

What’s your preferred carrier?

P.S.  More sling photos, from our Brooklyn Bridge crossing.

Amanda August 19, 2011 at 9:29 am

I love your photos! Hudson looks so tiny and adorable!

Rachael August 19, 2011 at 10:57 am

I didn’t know Aaron was that tall! He always looks tall in the photos, but there’s no frame of reference. I don’t like the Ergo insert either—it’s like she’s wrapped in a comforter! Now I sort of wish I had the beco gemini like Bridget H, but I suspicious it works great for her because she too is so tall. So many options!

alyson August 19, 2011 at 3:08 pm

6′ 8″?!?! wow! my dad is 6′ 6″ and I’m wondering if Wolf will be super tall. I bet Hudson will be tall too!

love that sling. I’ve been thinking about getting one too!

erica @ expatriababy August 19, 2011 at 9:31 pm

I so miss little babies in carriers…..
I’m a huge fan of babywearing and have tried all sorts of contraptions to carry my 14 m.o. girl in. My preferences change with her age, and what I’m trying to do. Currently, I like to wear her in a ring sling while I vacuum. She gets so calm when we do that together. When she was still a wee little thing, I loved to wear her in a mei tai right next to my heart.

Kristina August 20, 2011 at 9:16 pm

Hudson look adrorable. Love wearing my 5 month old baby girl in our Wrapsody Bali Strech wrap carrier. It’s like a Moby but SO much better, especially since it’s a lot lighter and we don’t get drenched in sweat in the summer heat.

Michelle August 22, 2011 at 8:46 am

I love the sling for nursing and cuddling. The Ergo is great because it doesn’t hurt your back and it has a sun shade, but yes, the insert is too hot. It will be great for you this fall. The baby Bjorn is nice and easy to put the baby in and very portable because you can smash it into a bag, but after a short while my back kills! Your babe is so adorable.

Gao August 27, 2011 at 9:35 pm

Congrats on being a mommy! You son is super adorable, and the best way to be with mama/daddy is snuggled up to her/him in a baby carrier. The more you wear your baby, the more comfortable you’ll be…:)

I love 3 different kinds of baby carriers, all for the different seasons that MN has. For winter, nothing beats my Moby wrap. My baby was a winter baby, so the Moby wrap was perfect to wrap baby nice and tight in and then with my coat over him for walks and long Mall of America window shopping (w/o the coat of course).

For spring, it started to get too hot for the Moby, so I switched it up to a Maya ring sling. Loved the Maya (or ring sling in general) because it was easy to pop baby in and out and I didn’t have to deal with all that fabric making both of us over heat.

For summer, I still stuck with a ring sling, but this time, the type of ring sling I got was made specially for water so the material was super light weight and wicked sweat and the material had an spf of 35 (it’s called a solarveil). I used that ring sling for the pool and wearing baby in the unbelievably hot summer heat that MN got this year. I also got a mei tai to wear baby when I didn’t feel like the ring sling.

Now that it’s almost fall and my baby is 8 months old, I’ve just started to take the Moby back out of storage again. The solar veil has been put away and so I’ll be switching between the Moby and the mei tai! Once baby gets to be walking, I’ll just stick to the mei tai since the Moby does tend to stretch a bit too much for a heavier baby.

I have heard great things about the Sakura brand ring slings, so keep that baby close to your heart and you will have great adventures together!

Ashley August 29, 2011 at 8:09 pm

The Solarveil sounds awesome! Thanks for the list, Gao!

baby wear in uk April 21, 2014 at 5:01 am

I almost never leave a response, but i did some searching and wound up
here Baby wear. And I actually do have some questions
for you if it’s allright. Could it be just me or does it
give the impression like some of the responses appear
like left by brain dead visitors? 😛 And, if you are
posting on additional sites, I would like to keep up with anything fresh you have to post.

Would you make a list of all of your shared sites like your twitter
feed, Facebook page or linkedin profile?

womens clothes etsy April 23, 2014 at 5:02 am

Wow, this post is pleasant, my sister is analyzing these kinds of things, so I am going to inform her.

cargo pants different June 16, 2014 at 6:33 pm

Hello, i read your blog occasionally and i own a similar one and i was
just curious if you get a lot of spam comments? If so
how do you prevent it, any plugin or anything you can suggest?

I get so much lately it’s driving me mad so any support is very much appreciated.

{ 1 trackback }