Week 38

by Ashley on July 18, 2011

I wasn’t 100% sure I’d be sharing another photo this week: I had a high blood pressure reading and suddenly we thought we might be heading to Labor & Delivery a little earlier than planned! That’s not the case, but it did prompt my doctor to ask that this be my last week of work. It was quite a surprise! So today is officially the first day of my maternity leave from my job (I’m an editor at a publishing house). I’m going to try to spend it sleeping in and tying up loose ends around the house. I thought I’d also be going on long walks and maybe, finally, making it to the pool at our gym, but I’m am supposed to be taking it easy so perhaps I’ll trade one of those walks for a pedicure?

Did you, or do you plan to, work up to your due date?

Claudia July 18, 2011 at 9:20 am

Happy first day of your maternity leave! Maternity leave rocks 🙂

Where I live, we have 1 year paid maternity leave and I don’t know anybody from Quebec that worked up to their due date (it is just not something socially accepted here). Generally, women start their maternity leave 2 weeks before their due date but some people (like me) are done with work 1 month before their due date (I’m an event planner and my boss didn’t want me to deal with “event stress”).

Happy pedicure 🙂

Deanna (Silly Goose Farm) July 18, 2011 at 9:43 am

How exciting! I’m such a workaholic that I went into my office while in labor with my first (I was over a week past my due date, and my water broke around 7a one morning. It was clear I was going into labor, but was so anxious about a few things in my office that I went in and finished up some projects and then finally went to the hospital around 10a (although I begged my husband to take me out for pancakes first!! He declined). When my second kid came just over a year later, I was self-employed, so I did slow down with projects but kept working until I had him (he came 3 weeks early on April Fool’s Day – quite a surprise!). I took a few weeks “off” and then started back in to work again. Keeping my fingers crossed everything goes smoothly for you!

Haydee July 18, 2011 at 10:22 am

You look great! I worked up until my due date with my daughter, but took about 4 weeks off prior to my son. Same thing, I had to take it easy. Enjoy and relish in this time special time:)

rachel July 18, 2011 at 10:24 am

Ashley, you look amazing! Enjoy this sweet time before your precious arrival. All the best to you!

Laura July 18, 2011 at 12:04 pm

I’m going to try and work up until my due date. I can only take three months and I’d like to have all three months with the baby. However I can imagine at 38-39 weeks the end of work starting to sound very appealing!

Hannah July 18, 2011 at 12:15 pm

Welcome to maternity leave! You look like 38 weeks of fantastic. Trade the walk for a pedicure. You’ll be going for lots of walks after the littles is born. But not as many pedicures…

Shayna July 18, 2011 at 1:35 pm

I stopped work 2 weeks before my due date (per doctor’s request). E was 10 days late so I ended up with nearly 1 month of maternity leave and it was fantastic. Enjoy these last quiet weeks…get a pedicure, a haircut, etc. 7.5 months later I still haven’t found the time to fit all of those in!

Ana July 18, 2011 at 2:06 pm

This made my eyes misty. I had Emma at 38 weeks.

paige July 18, 2011 at 3:21 pm

you are a stunning mommy-to-be!
yay for maternity leave!
my last day is August 12th. i’ll be 38 weeks, too!

enjoy your time.

🙂

Annie July 18, 2011 at 3:27 pm

Hey Ashley! You look amazing!

I think it’s great that you stop working a bit early, as you should rest for what’s coming…

I’m at week 36 now and I started maternity leave last week to have a full month off and take it easy before the big day. Like Claudia, I live in Quebec and we have 50 weeks paid by the government (25 weeks at 70% of your salary and 25 weeks at 55%).

Good luck to you and Aaron. And go for the pedicure (+ a 90 minutes massage if you can. It’s so relaxing, especially for your lower back. I’m sure you know what I mean…)!

Kara July 18, 2011 at 7:37 pm

My blood pressure also shot up in what was to be my last week at work before Leave. Doc feared pre-eclampsia and “watched” me for a weekend (wherein i talked them out of admitting me for a c-section). My numbers never came down, so maternity leave started and i did wind up getting that c-section 2 days before my estimated Due Date. I did get a pedi first though, and got lots of compliments from the nurses about my “cute toes”.
you prenatal hair looks Gorgeous!!!

Kara July 18, 2011 at 7:38 pm

oops! I meant “your hair”. not you hair.
sheesh….

blythe July 18, 2011 at 10:27 pm

i was working from my hospital room while in labor – i should’ve “misplaced” my laptop and phone so i was out of range from the office. then i had to go back to work after a mere six weeks having used all of the leave i had accrued (sick and vacation) over the last four years (not a good idea – not only have you not established a working routine with your bambino yet, but you’re body is literally not healed, i don’t care what they say). sucky, to say the least. next kiddo i’m heading for the canadian border.

Isabelle July 19, 2011 at 3:43 am

Had a month off before each child and it was very valuable time to “re-center” with a less work focused pace (though quite busy trying to get in pedicures and socializing and things I knew would not be so easy with a newborn) and get things ready because I could really think about them, unlike when I was working. Relish the time. Our society tends to make a big hyped deal about the pregnancy and the birth as the whole point/culmination. However, once the baby is here is when the real action begins and you will look back at the birth as the starting gate really, a quick bleep at the beginning of a long series of wonderful and exhausting events that is life with children. And it’s a while before you can really rest again, truly rest, years, so sleep in and nap and indulge yourself! (I say this even though both my babies slept 11 hours a night by 12 weeks… it’s still exhausting those first six to twelve months.) It’s going to be so much fun when you get to that first smile and beyond, like being madly in love. All the best to you guys.

Claire July 19, 2011 at 4:47 am

You look great! Rosey and happy!

I live in Australia and we’re lucky to receive parental leave from the government in addition to our employer’s maternity leave. It’s standard to take leave 6 weeks out from the little one’s due date…and I can’t wait! I’m looking forward to resting, nesting, preparing, pottering, dreaming and pondering. Hope you enjoy this precious time. x

katie July 19, 2011 at 9:21 am

I worked up until the day before (Friday) she was born (Saturday) BUT I was induced b/c of pre-e symptoms on Friday night (blech!) so I would’ve kept working had that not happened. I still achieved the natural, pain-med-free birth I wanted, but the induction really sucked. I hope everything happens spontaneously and quickly for you and your baby!

Emma July 19, 2011 at 3:45 pm

Ashley, you look blooming! This suits you….

I left 2 months before, in the UK lots of women leave up to 2months before right up to a few days before.Companies can ask you to start your maternity leave from that 8 week period. As my baby was due Dec 28th I used that time to shop, wrap and decorate…Oh and watch hours and hours of birthing TV programmes. My 2nd baby I had and I hadn’t gone back to work.

If I did it again I would definately work later into the pregnancy I got so fed up of waiting!!!

kate / tinywarbler July 20, 2011 at 12:27 pm

you look lovely! yes, i’m still working and today is my due date, but i work from home making little animals so maybe that doesn’t count, it’s pretty chill.
i make sure there is plenty of time for snacks, breaks, naps etc.
enjoy your pedicure and some relaxing time!

ashley July 20, 2011 at 1:55 pm

you look amazing! i’m due three days after thanksgiving, so it sounds like a good idea to leave for thanksgiving and not return until after baby is here (if he hasn’t come already). i’m taking off 12 weeks. 🙂

Eva / Sycamore Street Press July 20, 2011 at 4:24 pm

I worked right up to my due date, although I took it more and more easy… We also were moving and getting settled right up until Ingrid was born (9 days late)! I don’t suggest that to anyone, but we didn’t really have a choice. 8 months later, and between work and baby, I still haven’t had time to get fully settled in our place.