Retro revival

by Ashley on July 27, 2011

One of my favorite toys when I was growing up was my Fisher-Price turn-table. I vividly recall playing “America” from West Side Story and singing along for my grandmother while playing with the speeds. (I was such a ham!) Hazier memories tend to include, at a younger age, Disney’s Cinderella or Sleeping Beauty–the story and the soundtrack–and brightly colored 45s.

Check out my guest post for PJ, over at Bunny & Dolly, about the recent revival of many Fisher-Price classics. What toys are you nostalgic about?

[image via]

Deanna (Silly Goose Farm) July 27, 2011 at 9:11 am

Oh yes, I had one of these (that I think my mom picked up at a second-hand store). We had the Disney version of “Sleepy Hollow” that I would play on that sucker all the time. I think it might have spurned my love for all things Halloween!

Cynth July 27, 2011 at 9:50 am

We had one of those as well! Actually my older sister was given one and I was jealous. We played Strawberry Shortcake albums and Rafi on it. It felt very grown up to own such machinery. Though this one looks like it might be for 45s? Ours was full size, whatever that’s called.

Whitney July 27, 2011 at 5:49 pm

Oh my goodness. Our Fisher Price record player got so much playtime. “On Top of Spaghetti” was on the top hit list.

Kate (Embarrassment of Riches) July 29, 2011 at 6:32 am

I had one of these as a kid too! A few weekends ago at the Brooklyn Flea I saw one for sale. I actually snapped a shot of it because the nostalgia came flooding back!

Ashley August 1, 2011 at 9:59 am

Ooh! What a find!

Jennifer July 29, 2011 at 11:23 am

Ashley – I loved my Fisher Price turntable too! In fact I still have it. I used to love carrying it around with me and playing Michael Jackson records on it. The best..thanks for the flashback. How are things with baby Hudson? Hope he is doing well, does he know how lucky he is to have such cool parents? 🙂 Have a good weekend!

Ashley August 1, 2011 at 10:00 am

The handle is one of the best parts! So cool that you still have it! Thanks for the nice note, Jenn! Going well so far… Hope you had a nice weekend!

Eva August 8, 2011 at 4:54 pm

WOW! I loved mine too! I had a Jerry Clower record I could recite in entirety. Thanks for the flood of memories!

{ 1 trackback }