reCrib

by Ashley on July 12, 2011

Michelle Lehmann and her husband Daniel recently launched a new retail site called reCrib where you can find gently used, brand-name baby gear. The items for sale tend toward high-end and so the prices  still tend toward steep. But if you had your hopes set on this $730 Oeuf Crib, you might be pretty excited to find it for 2/3 that! For those with shallower pockets, I also spotted some slightly less costly bargains (a Puj tub for $15 or a Bjorn carrier for $40). Being new to the scene, the site still has some growing to do, but perhaps you’ll find–or find a buyer for–that one special thing?

What do you think about used baby gear? Anything you wouldn’t want to have second-hand? Will you re-sell items of your own?

Ana July 12, 2011 at 9:11 am

I would definitely re-sell and buy used items. Probably not diapers or clothes for a newborn or very personal things like nail clippers or little things like that. But furniture I definitely would sell and buy used.

Rebecca July 12, 2011 at 10:00 am

I tried—and failed—to buy a used Oeuf crib about a month ago, so I’m all for used baby goods (within reason). I love the idea behind reCrib but unfortunately pickings are still pretty slim in the LA area. Hopefully things will pick up by the time I’m ready to sell some baby gear of my own!

Diane @ kitchen-dreams July 12, 2011 at 10:05 am

what an adorable blog you have. wishing you the very best of luck with the upcoming delivery. from the looks of your blog your baby will be very lucky to have you guys as parents!

Ashley July 13, 2011 at 10:07 pm

What a sweet thing to say, Diane! Thank you!

Clare July 12, 2011 at 11:01 am

I was lent lots of great items when I was expecting as we had recently moved to the country from the UK. A wonderful friend gave us her daughter’s crib and armoire, mattress, clothing and toys even a fancy Medela electric pump which she had never used.

I never felt funny about using second-hand items; you can’t be too proud. I had wished I had been able to buy a brand new nursery suite that was to my specification and style, but we just weren’t in that position at the time, so I was just very grateful for the help.

One thing I have heard you should never buy second hand is a carseat as you don’t know if the model has ever been recalled or if it has been involved in an accident and could be faulty!

Ashley July 13, 2011 at 10:07 pm

It’s a good reminder to double-check whether any used items have since been recalled or been listed on the safety-watch-list, but I agree: one is so lucky to have friends who will share. So much of this is needed for only a short while.

Jessica V July 12, 2011 at 11:30 am

The only thing I’m weary of buying second hand (new mom to be) is a car seat. It’s a safety thing I just don’t think I’d be comfortable with not knowing if the car seat was safe or in a previous accident. I would, however, consider more secondhand items (like a breast pump or far seat) from a good friend. I’m a thrifter at heart so overall buying gently used items is totally fine by me.

Ashley July 13, 2011 at 10:05 pm

Good point! I think the breast pump is a hard one for many, but I agree.

Anna July 12, 2011 at 1:16 pm

Love this idea! We’ve been looking for a used crib, too bad they don’t have anything in SF.

Ashley July 13, 2011 at 10:04 pm

Bummer! Hopefully the community will grow. We got lucky when we learned a friend of a friend had a used crib that was perfect for us. But maybe craigslist or ebay? Good luck!

bridget July 14, 2011 at 9:21 pm

oeuf makes the best cribs!!! that’s what we have (but lucky me got it on wholesale since i worked at a baby store. otherwise… not so much).

i would totally use hand me downs- in fact, i am using a lot of them! for the most part, if they’re washable, i think it’s ok.