NoseFrida

by Ashley on July 14, 2011

Have you heard of this Swedish Snotsucker (aka nasal aspirator)? I was telling Aron about it the other day and it went something like this…

Me: “There’s this thing called Nosefrida that everyone seems to really love for clearing a baby’s nose. You suck through a tube against his nose and the suction draws out mucus. Apparently it’s great–the reviews are insane.” Aron: “Ewwwh! Gross! There is no way in a million years… Never. That’s the most disgusting thing ever. Blech!”

That might not have been the exact transcript, but those were the sentiments expressed. Even after I explained that you don’t ever actually ingest boogers, he was disgusted. It’s now frequently referenced in teasing: “Will you Nosefrida me? But you can save them and eat them later!” But seriously, how is this big, strong surgeon who deals with all manners of disgusting bodily fluids and infections (flesh-eating bacteria, anyone?), so incredibly grossed out by some harmless little baby boogers?

I do admit it sounds a little crazy. What do you think? Would you Nosefrida your baby? Has anyone tried it?

Claudia July 14, 2011 at 8:56 am

We have one (well, not a Swedish one but an American one).
Here, in Montreal, stores almost never sell “regular nose pump” and doctors tell you to get the, as you said, nosefrida. It works very well. Babies really dislike them but they also dislike the regular nose pump. It is a pretty cool thing to have in winter (you know, freaking cold Canadian winter)!!!

Ashley July 14, 2011 at 9:32 am

So good to know! I like the way it sounds in French, better…

janet July 14, 2011 at 10:05 am

It. Is. Amazing. You need one. And the snot doesn’t even seem to get all the way to the filter, so you’re safe. 🙂 When my 3 month old has yucky dried stuff in her nose, I put in some saline drops to loosen it and then suck it out, and she can breathe so much better. She does act as if I’m sucking out her brains, but it’s so worth it.

Annie July 14, 2011 at 11:38 am

It is the best! You can’t believe how well it works. Plus, regular nasal aspirators can swell their little nasal passage and make them more congested. The nosefrida doesn’t go in the nose so it’s much safer.

Ana July 14, 2011 at 12:31 pm

When Emma was 2 weeks old she got the flu, she was born in winter so that was not so great for her… She got her nose so stuffed she couldn’t sleep and I could either so I read on a book how to suck a baby’s nose haha! I did I sucked all the boogers out and it is less gross than you may think. Oh gosh! now that I think about it, it really sounds gross… ack!

Kara July 14, 2011 at 1:23 pm

I, too, was completely grossed out by this. Most babies have nasal congestion for the first few weeks (or months) of life. The hospital-issued bulb aspirator worked fine. but once my daughter was 6 months or so and got her first “real” cold, she would scream and bat away the aspirator. Out of an act of desperation, I went and bought one of these. She still hated it, but it worked SO well! You’d seriously need several tablespoons of snot for it to even reach the top of the tube, and even after that there’s a sponge (plug) and another 18 inches of flex tube before you get to the mouth piece. No chance at all of getting snot in your mouth. And when your baby is screaming and can’t breath, your gag reflex turns itself off anyway.
ps: After going thru Med school, Aron still gets grossed out?

katie hill July 14, 2011 at 2:26 pm

his tune will change once the baby comes… your perspective of what is gross totally evolves and you’ll probably find yourself discussing gross stuff, such as the baby’s bowel movements on a daily basis! it just comes with the territory when taking care of a helpless little person:)

paige July 14, 2011 at 2:45 pm

oh my! i don’t think i’ll be using this. as a mother, i’ve already seen and touched many gross things; however, snot is one thing that i just can’t get over. i mean, i’ve been pooped on, pee’d on…but snot…ewwwwww. and eye boogs…gross. i’ll stick with regular aspirator. either way, babies hate them.

Isabelle July 19, 2011 at 3:49 am

We were desperate because ours refused from early on to let anything touch/near her nostrils. I tried a bunch, and at first even this nosefrida failed but it was user error. Once I tried it a few more times (like some readers said, using a few drops of saline is key) it worked marvelously. I was totally grossed out and in awe at the same time, and it really really helped her nose congestion. Also, it cracks me up that a lot of folks worry they are going to get snot/germs this way but I can’t think of a single cold/virus my kids had that I didn’t get from kissing them or being sneezed on or whatnot so that is the least of my worries with this thing. It’s kind of genius, really!

Karen Dwyer July 19, 2011 at 9:20 pm

You don’t know it yet, but there isn’t anything you wouldn’t do for your baby. You will see! 🙂

Kate February 9, 2012 at 11:38 am

It works wonders! Love love love it!

{ 1 trackback }