Momma’s got a brand-new (diaper) bag

by Aron on June 29, 2011

I decided not to get a dedicated diaper bag, but sweet Aron found me a beautiful Michael Kors Gansevoort tote on ebay that I’d be much happier carrying and converting into a diaper bag. Really any bag can do as a diaper bag with the addition of a Skip Hop Pronto Changer or a conversion kit–like this “Diaper Bag Essentials” kit (and then those items can be transferred to your partner’s bag, too). A rucksack, for example, would be an awesome alternative.

That said, here are some characteristics that most diaper bags share and that you might want to look for if you do go an alternative route:  moisture-proof interior, comfortable handles, cross-body strap, light weight when empty, divided pockets, and a closure at top. My new bag could be a bit more “wipeable,” but it otherwise fits the bill perfectly!

If, however, you’re on the lookout for a proper diaper bag but you, like me, aren’t wild about the ones that seem intended to complement the baby’s style more than your own, here are a few other actual diaper bags I spotted and admired…

P.S. Baby Center has a checklist of items you might consider carrying in your diaper bag, here.

[Grid: Storksak Jess /Storksak Emily (the Storksak Olivia is nice, too)/ timi & leslie Charlie II /Nest Hudson /Sym Charlie Lifestyle/Amanda Quilted BabyMel]

Ana June 29, 2011 at 9:01 am

Those are so fancy and cute. I used a regular huge bag from H&M because I hate cutesy diaper bags.

Teryn June 29, 2011 at 10:50 am

Love the bag you chose, but some of the actual diaper bags you show are really great, too. I especially like the top two.

Clare June 29, 2011 at 11:43 am

I’m in agreement re: diaper bags; I do feel they’re a bit of a con as any plus-sized bag will do the job, and more than often, will look nicer too.

If you’re not bottle-feeding, your bag doesn’t even have to be that much bigger. A change of clothing, some diapers and wipes and you’re set! That never failed me when baby was newborn.

It seems that now she’s older, I need more stuff: full lunches, drinks, toys, snacks. It was much easier when it was just baby and the boob!

Annie June 30, 2011 at 10:22 am

I totally agree with you on that one! Especially since you might no even carry a purse for a few months (according to my 10 friends who had babies last year) and just use the diaper bag to put your keys and money in.

I think it’s worth investing in a bag that complement your style instead of an ugly bag. I was thinking of getting a Lacoste sports bag for men, since they are the perfect size and weight. Something like that : http://www.lacoste.com/#/catalogue-men-leathergoods-urban_mate-nh0083um

La Franglaise July 7, 2011 at 9:28 am

I agree. I’d much rather use a regular big bag than a diaper bag (in fact, I bought one when I was pregnant and only use it when we travel). If money were no object though, I’d certainly buy a “Petits Parisiens” diaper bag: http://www.petitsparisiens.com/02_petits_parisiens/diaper_bag.html

Camellia July 14, 2011 at 9:08 pm

Love the new bag. Stylish and functional. Nice choice.

Ester J. Roberts April 29, 2014 at 8:42 am

Surprisingly compelling knowledge that you have remarked, warm regards for setting up.

clumsy ninja cheats May 26, 2014 at 10:14 am

I absolutely love your blog and find nearly all of your post’s to be precisely what I’m looking
for. Do you offer guest writers to write content in your case?
I wouldn’t mind composing a post or elaborating
on some of the subjects you write about here.
Again, awesome web log!

Cheap jordan shoes June 3, 2014 at 1:29 am
503 zero レギュラーストレート July 12, 2014 at 8:00 am

Great article! That is the type of info that should be shared around the net.

Disgrace on the seek engines for now not positioning this publish
upper! Come on over and seek advice from my website .

official kd shoes September 22, 2016 at 6:42 am

Led Britain is the world’s largest business network, help like Niek Alofs such professionals find contacts within the enterprise, and through the network to contact candidates.
official kd shoes http://www.officialkdshoes.com