Where will you put him?

by Ashley on April 18, 2011

While visiting family and friends in California, the most frequently asked question about the new baby has perhaps been where he (and all of his things) will fit in our little 500-square-foot apartment. My first thought? Good question.

We’ve made some progress–at least as far as the baby is concerned; his things are another topic. Aron’s closet space (really just a nook where we had installed a dresser and a bar) is where we plan to put a teeny-tiny crib and cross our fingers that the baby will be comfortable for a full year. Poor Aron will instead squeeze into the front closet with our suitcases, but at least he doesn’t have to pick out clothes very often: he’s in scrubs most days.

While researching mini-cribs, I found that most options are 27 inches deep, which is still a bit much for our space. Luckily, the Alma mini-crib fit perfectly! Not so lucky was the high price tag and the item-specific bedding. We found some used options on craigslist and ebay, but were thrilled when a friend knew someone hoping to sell theirs. We ended up buying the crib (in grey), bedding, and mattress at a super discount! We’ll keep you posted as the space takes shape!

(P.S. Interesting tidbit about the Alma crib: In Europe it’s advertised for use up to two years, whereas in the U.S. it’s advertised for only one.)

Jill April 18, 2011 at 10:19 am

That’s wild! 500 sqft home and a mini crib. I love it!

I’ve seen where many people have created a “baby area/nursery” in very small spaces. Sometimes they are cuter than rooms. I’m sure you will have the same outcome.

Can’t wait to see it!

Ashley April 19, 2011 at 11:40 am

Thanks, Jill! I was really happy that we found a solution that will at least allow me a little decoration. When we thought we would put a bassinet and a screen in the main part of the studio, I was lamenting that we wouldn’t be likely to add any embellishment.

I’ll share pics as we go along!

Mary S April 18, 2011 at 9:14 pm

we have this crib! my inlaws wanted to buy it for us, so we were very fortunate in regards to money. for bedding, my mom helped me make a few fitted sheets. here is a link to my post about how to make sheets to fit the alma mini crib, in case you want to have a few more sets and feel like crafting:

our boy is almost 1 and it’s still working well. i hope you guys enjoy it as much as we have!

Ashley April 19, 2011 at 11:42 am

Brilliant, Mary! Thanks so much for the link! Seeing yours finished and set up makes me so excited to ready our space more.

And I’m so glad to hear that it’s still working for your little fella at near-one!

Erin April 19, 2011 at 1:45 pm

Miles has a full sized crib and sleeps jammed in a corner anyway. I would imagine as long as he can spread out his legs, the crib will have plenty of room (until he can launch himself over the edge).

Ashley April 19, 2011 at 2:13 pm

Good to hear! Do I sense that Miles is testing out his acrobatic skills?

Erin April 19, 2011 at 11:32 pm

He’s not yet tried to jump out of the crib, but he’s definitely standing and trying to shake the bars.

Mirta Tomkins April 23, 2011 at 3:43 pm

Valuable info. Lucky me I found your site by accident, I bookmarked it.

{ 3 trackbacks }