Make mine a virgin

by Ashley on April 5, 2011

I’m having some girlfriends over tomorrow night for a ladies-only potluck and have been trying to come up with a cocktail that will start the night off right–but which will also still be interesting and unique sans alcohol. For example, I make a pretty tasty Dark & Stormy (Cruzan rum has made all the difference), but without the rum it’s just ginger beer. Tasty, but not interesting.

Inspiration struck this past Sunday during brunch at Jo’s, however: I usually have the house Pimm’s cup with muddled cucumber, strawberry, ginger ale, and Pimm’s No.1, but ever since I found out we are expecting I’ve been having mine with a mix of Seven Up and Ginger Ale to replace the Pimm’s. Delicious!

Alyson came up with this cute recipe card for her favorite mama mocktails! And a friend’s husband recently poured me a glass of coconut water in a chilled martini glass and added a twist of lemon–brilliant! What are some of your suggestions? Anything else I should consider shaking–or stirring–up?

Deanna (Silly Goose Farm) April 5, 2011 at 9:45 am

Ooh, Pimm’s Cups are my favorite! I was recently out with some colleagues and asked for one. The barkeep didn’t know how to make one, so I shimmied behind the bar and taught him. I usually add gin to mine.

I don’t think you could ever go wrong with a Shirley Temple (and since a potluck is kind of nostalgic anyway, this could be a great addition!). Two mocktails I’ve turned to in the past are the “Mom Collins” and “Faux Kir”

Mom Collins:
-Juice of 1/2 lemon
-1 tsp. powdered sugar
- 6-8 oz. club soda

Shake lemon juice and sugar with ice and strain into Collins glass. Add several ice cubes, fill with club soda. Stir. Garnish with citrus fruits and maraschino cherry. Serve with a straw.

Faux Kir:
-1 measure chilled raspberry syrup
-chilled white grape juice, to top off
-(sometimes I add some ginger ale for bubble effect!)

Pour the raspberry syrup into a chilled wine glass. Top off with grape juice. Stir well to mix and decorate with a lemon twist.

Good luck!

Ashley April 5, 2011 at 1:01 pm

Delicious! Thank you! The idea of a faux kir is brilliant–it would be nice to make things where the base is the same with or without alcohol.

Liz April 5, 2011 at 10:11 am

Virgin Mojitos come out pretty delicious too – and VERY refreshing!

paige April 5, 2011 at 12:57 pm

I don’t have any recipes to share; however (!)…the fiance and I are headed to FL next week and I cannot WAIT to have a few (virgin) pina coladas! :)

and Thanks for the link to “mama mocktails”…I’ll definitely try that modified bloody mary.

alyson April 5, 2011 at 2:25 pm

YUM. your adaptation of the Pimm’s cup sounds SO good!

Ashley April 19, 2011 at 12:16 pm

It was a big success! I ended up liking it with all 7-up best (the ginger ale overly balanced it). I want to try a dash of bitters, perhaps, sometime–I wonder if it would simulate the Pimm’s? But it’s really delicious and I was so happy with how it could be served both with or without alcohol!

Katie April 6, 2011 at 1:38 pm

We left for St. Thomas the day after I found out I was pregnant and virgin mojitos or a mix of pineapple, guava and/or mango juice with Sprite helped me feel like I wasn’t missing out on the fun!

Ashley April 19, 2011 at 12:17 pm

Virgin mojitos–yum!!

Elisabeth Thackaberry April 23, 2011 at 2:14 pm

It’s really a nice and helpful piece of information. I’m glad that you shared this helpful info with us. Please keep us informed like this. Thanks for sharing.